Wednesday, March 30, 2011

City Blues

So, for the last couple of weeks I've been on vacation: 10 days in London/English Countryside w/my parents and lil sis and the last few in Barcelona by myself. But, after these few weeks the city has got me down. I just got off the metro here, and I'm not sure if I've ever seen such a depressing sight in my life. No one was smiling. They looked like lambs going to slaughter. Complete indifference on their faces as if not another human was on the train. What does that say about the jobs and lives that they live? They must be cleaning toilets or some shit like that. It doesn't seem human the way we treat each other. There has to be something more to life than our own sort of personal bubbles. I wish that people could just take a step back from their busy lives and look at how they're living. I realize that I don't face most of the constraints that many working people face, being a Peace Corps volunteer. But we must allow time for ourselves to act like humans and use the abilities (speech, higher thought, etc.) that we were either given or have evolved. Hopefully, I don't have to eat my own words when my Peace Corps stint ends or start a family. But, así es la vida. Something to put a smile on your faces http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfXwmDGJAB8

One love and keep it real

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth,

    You're definitely half-way right. I think that I find myself smiling more often than not. And I'm definitely learning as well. The world that I'm apart of now is different than the one I grew up in. I think that where I'm at now, people find happiness in the little things and take the time to actively search it out as well, whereas this is not the case in the States. Slowly but surely, my personal space that I've built up is being invaded in Cape Verde, and it's a good thing. I just have to get used to it.

    ReplyDelete