Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Loneliness, who cares?

Dear followers,

While trying to create a new post, I got lost (pretty good for a computer teacher, right?) and somehow found out that my blog has had only 34 views. Dang, my blog must be lame. But, I don't give a hoot; it's good for the soul, like chicken soup. This sort of segues into my topic of interest: loneliness. It's dumb.

I used to get very lonely in college. My freshman year was hell for me. I thought that no one understood me nor was it possible for anyone to understand me. I was an impenetrable wall in my own mind, wouldn't let anyone in and I wouldn't let anything out, not even to the school therapist.

But my experiences living in other countries has left me immune to loneliness. Living now by myself in Pedra Badejo, the setting is perfect to feel alone: no friends (more or less on an intimate level), a foreign language that still isn't dominated and a foreign culture that makes for some awkward moments. But, in all honesty, I don't feel lonely. I think loneliness is created by how we think others perceive us. If you think that everyone thinks that you're a dork, oddball, idiot, dweeb, nerd, loaner, etc. then you're going to feel like one. If you don't care then you truly are the master of your domain. It seems to me a part of the maturation process, a step towards adulthood: not giving a f. (Sorry mom, the f is solely for emphasis) That's right I consider myself an adult now, boo yah.

But, there are consequences of kicking loneliness's ass (sorry mom). I think it could cause a coldness or indifference in one's behaviour. Not caring about other's perceptions of us could lead to a straight hermit lifestyle, which has entered my mind during my stay in Cape Verde, indifference towards friendship, and other loaner-type behaviours. Friendship is really important though. A true friend is a hard thing to find, but makes life much better. So, I'm stuck. I'm convinced that I could go on living my life as a hermit. No prob. Easy peezy japaneezy. But, I'm not sure it would be a fulfilling lifestyle. Friends are a good thing. Maybe if I could get some friends to live with me as hermits. Anyways, I know that I won't need to buy some luxury car to impress the Jones'.

Other news:

- 2 liter warm baths= da bomb
- New Year's resolution: to not turn on the lights for the remainder of my service and to not use running water unless for filling up my barrel and other water bottles.
- Meat from a can= also, da bomb


Welp that was my ramble for the day, good luck deciphering it. Peace

Jeff

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wise words my friend. I know that I have often assumed (irrationally) that people view me as a dweeb, ginger, idiot etc. I guess I didn't fully realize it till I saw it here in writing. I thank you for that realization.

    Your resolutions sound pretty BA, you can def do them no prob (extenuating circumstances excluded).



    Take care

    -Jules

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Jeff. Add some pictures to and some bling to this blog!

    Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jules- Good to hear from you dawg. I definitely should have brought that Ugadan soccer ball that you gave me. Better for inside juggling. Yea, I'm siked about my resolutions as well. I might opt to not use electricity at all. Right now, I'm charging my comp. at work; I could do the same with my phone. Frige is going to be the tough thing. I love me some cereal with cold milk. Hope all is well.

    Coontwine- Not so simple. I'm scared to upload pics through a Cape Verdean comp. for fear of viruses, lots of viruses. But I should be able to upload some when I go to Europe next month. So, hold your horses for 30 more days. Peace

    ReplyDelete
  5. Solid post dawg, sounds like you're doing well. Keep the posts up

    ReplyDelete